An AIA architect is the one professional who has the education, training, experience, and vision to guide you through the entire design and construction process, from helping you define what you want to build to helping you get the most for your construction dollar.
Architects see the big picture. They don’t just design four walls and a roof they create total environments, interiors and exteriors, that satisfy functional needs and are exciting, dynamic spaces in which to work and live. Whether you are remodeling, adding on, or building from scratch, the architect can guide the way. Working with contractors and other construction professionals, architects can help you end up with a well designed project that meets your needs and works with your budget and time frame.
Here are 20 questions to ask your architect.
- What does the architect see as important issues or considerations in your project?
- How will the architect approach your project?
- How will the architect gather information about your needs, goals, etc.?
- How will the architect establish priorities and make decisions?
- Who from the architecture firm will be dealing with you directly? Is that the same person who will be designing the project? Who will be designing the project?
- How interested is the architect in this project?
- How busy is the architect?
- What sets this architect apart from the rest?
- How does the architect establish fees?
- What would the architect expect the fee to be for this project?
- What are the steps in the design process?
- How does the architect organize the process?
- What does the architect expect you to provide?
- What is the architect’s design philosophy?
- What is the architect’s experience/track record with cost estimating?
- What will the architect show you along the way to explain the project? Will you see models, drawings, or sketches?
- If the scope of the project changes later in the project, will there be additional fees? How will these fees be justified?
- What services does the architect provided during construction?
- How disruptive will construction will be? How long does the architect expect it to take to complete your project?
- Does the architect have a list of past clients with whom the firm has worked?